Registering for a D-U-N-S Number
SBA requires that all applications have a D-U-N-S Number. The National Association of Development Companies has a simple procedure for searching a business’ already existing D-U-N-S number using Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corp (DBCC), who allows a simple search on their system to find a D-U-N-S Number.
If you are a lender wishing to look up the pre-existing D-U-N-S number of one of your borrowers, follow the steps below:
- Go to smallbusiness.dnb.com
- Under Products, select “Get a D-U-N-S”
- At the top of the page, place your cursor on Establish a D&B D-U-N-S; select “Search for a D&B D-U-N-S”
- This should bring up the D&B D-U-N-S Number Lookup. Enter the company name and current address, then “Search”.
- Your company should appear in the box in the middle of the page. Select “Send D-U-N-S#”.
- In the little box, fill in your first and last name and email address. Select “Send D-U-N-S#”. You should receive a confirmation for your request, stating that the number will be emailed to you.
If your borrower needs to establish a D-U-N-S number, follow these steps from D&B, also found on SBA’s website.
Navigate your browser to D-U-N-S Request Service which redirects you to the D&B website. This page contains links for searching or requesting the D&B D-U-N-S number.
You will need the following on hand:
- Legal name, contact name and, title
- Headquarters name, telephone number, physical address, city, state and ZIP Code
- Doing Business As (DBA) or name by which your business is commonly recognized
- Mailing address
- Number of employees at your physical location